An Evening of Song with Crystal Palace Community Choir and Dan Maitland
Writer and musician Daniel Maitland released his debut solo album, Rumours Of A Nice Day, on Folkwit records in 2009: “…songs that grow and swell with each listen. Lovely.”
– www.subba-cultcha.com. Since then, he has released a number of singles, including arguably the greatest Christmas song ever written, and is presently remixing Rumours for digital release, and writing and un-archiving a sister album, for simultaneous release.
He was a founder member of the East Dulwich Writers group. And was selected for both of the Stories for Homes anthologies (tenth in the Amazon charts).
His poetry has been featured in magazines, on Sky TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxflSOWnn7Aand used by the North Sea Radio Orchestra and other artists, including: Melanie Blatt, Nick Homes, Geno Washington and members of the Stereo MC’s.
Daniel played sax for many years with soul legend Geno Washington and worked in a number of other writing and performing projects – including the RSC and The Foundations.
He re-entered the world of gigging (his own material) last year with a home-made summer tour – of gardens, kitchens and Greyhound festivals. And currently leads a number of South East London community choirs and a community band – for which he has no-one to blame but himself. Recent gig feedback: ‘One of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.’ Matt Ottewill, http://www.planetoftunes.com/ ‘Loved your set, Dan. Voice like silk.’ Ben Henderson www.bumperandthumper.com
Crystal Palace Community Choir
Hi, we are a friendly community choir with members of all ages, from Crystal Palace and further afield.
– We sing a variety of songs – “from pop to classical, musicals to madrigals”, as we like to say:) – for pleasure and performance.
– All welcome. No need to book in advance or audition, no singing experience required.
– We sing in parts (soprano, alto, tenor and bass) and use sheet music, so if you can read music you’ll pick songs up quicker – but don’t worry, most of us learn by repetition.
– We meet every Tuesday, 8-9.30pm, upstairs at the Goodliffe Hall on Highland Rd SE19 1DP (next to Christ Church Gipsy Hill)
– We pay by monthly standing order of £16. This covers choir director’s fee, room hire, sheet music, keyboard batteries etc. First session free!
– Contact us at email@example.com Here’s some more about Karl……….
Karl Gietzmann’s interest in choirs began as a young boy chorister in Lincoln Cathedral Choir. Following studies in music at Cambridge University and the Royal Academy of Music, he has combined teaching and singing work in and around London. Recent highlights include appearing on Radio 3 In tune, as part of an unconducted ensemble last year, and singing the role of the Angel in Jonathan Dove’s opera Tobias and the Angel in the presence of the composer.
Karl became music director of Crystal Palace Community Choir in October 2015, and has relished exploring new repertory with the choir